Your gums are more important than you might think. They provide a barrier for your teeth, protecting you from infection and decay. Healthy gums also offer an attractive frame for your teeth, contributing to a beautiful smile. But did you know that having unhealthy bleeding gums can raise your risk of systemic illnesses like heart disease, stroke, and diabetes? That’s why patients concerned about gum disease in Wayne, NJ, turn to Dr. Laurence Breiterman to learn how to protect their oral and overall health.
5 Ways to Stave Off Gum Disease
- Floss at least once per day. While it should ideally be done before bed, anytime is better than none. Flossing is the only way to reach food debris that becomes trapped between the teeth.
- Quit smoking. Tobacco products are terrible for your gum health–and everything else. Dr. Breiterman can help you kick the habit and avoid gum disease with some helpful advice about the smoking cessation options available to you.
- Brush twice a day or more. Brushing removes the plaque and bacteria that build up on your teeth and eventually cause gum disease. In this case, frequency is critical. You do not want to allow the bacteria time to grow.
- Schedule regular exams and cleanings. During a professional cleaning, your hygienist can remove the plaque and bacteria buildup in places you cannot reach. While in an exam, Dr. Breiterman can detect the early signs of gum disease, like bleeding gums, bad breath, tenderness, gum recession, and tooth sensitivity.
- Use mouthwash. It serves as an added layer of protection. Swishing teeth with mouthwash may be able to rinse debris from unreachable spots in your mouth.
If you have ever had gum disease, be sure to let your doctor know so that you can have periodontal maintenance. Dr. Laurence Breiterman offers these deep cleanings as well as many other treatments for bleeding gums and gum disease in Wayne, NJ. Call our office to schedule a consultation today.