Traditional braces function in a straightforward way: a system of metal brackets and wires are assembled on the teeth and tightened every couple of weeks to move the teeth into the correct positions. They work well but are anything but discreet. If you’re looking for a more subtle teeth straightening method, Invisalign® uses a series of smooth, customized trays that are completely see-through and inconspicuous. Here’s how the effective braces method works:
The Step-by-Step Invisalign® Process
Invisalign® is one of the most popular forms of cosmetic dentistry because of its unobtrusive look and feel. When you tell your dentist that you’re interested in the procedure, you can expect to go through the following steps:
- Consultation: Before treatment can begin, your dentist needs to make sure you’re a good candidate during an initial consultation. The severity of your case will be the determining factor on if you will be a candidate for Invisalign®. During the consultation, the cost of treatment will also be covered.
- Teeth impressions: Once you confirm you want to move ahead with your treatment plan, your doctor will make impressions of your teeth using advanced technology. The impressions will be used to create your customized plastic trays, which will contain your invisible aligners for each step of the teeth movement.
- Invisible Aligners: When you receive your invisible aligners, your dentist will explain how and when to wear them. Although they are removable, they should be worn most of the day and taken out only to eat and clean the teeth.
- Checkups and Aligner Changes: Approximately every two weeks, you will receive a new, slightly adjusted set of aligners. Each set is designed to move the teeth gradually into a straighter position than the previous set.
- Retainers: At the end of your treatment, you will be given a set of retainers to keep your teeth aligned. Your retainers may be fixed or removable, depending on your preferences and your dentist’s recommendations. The retainers will prevent your teeth from returning to their previous misaligned positions, if you wear them as directed.
Schedule Your Appointment
Invisalign® can make the teeth straightening process comfortable and confidential. To schedule your appointment with Dr. Laurence Breiterman, call Advanced Dental Techniques at your convenience. Dr. Breiterman will ensure your smile will be something you will be proud to show off!